Frye court walk

 Detective Sgt. Mark Hynes escorts Leonard Frye out of District Judge Dennis M. Songer’s district court Thursday in Sharon.

A Sharon man arrested in connection with the Oct. 26 death of a 14-year-old Hermitage girl is accused of making video recordings of sexual encounters he had with her.

Leonard Michael Frye Jr., 19, of 276 Oak Way, Sharon, was in District Judge Dennis M. Songer’s court Thursday and waived a preliminary hearing on charges of rape of a substantially impaired person, statutory sexual assault and corruption of minors. The charges stem from allegations that Frye had sexually assaulted a child, who confirmed the claim, said police.

But that wasn’t the end of Frye’s brush with the law.

A preliminary arraignment followed on additional charges, filed Thursday, of involuntary deviant sexual intercourse of a person less than 16, statutory sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault of a person less than 16, photographing or filming a sex act, child pornography and criminal use of a cell phone. 

The second set of charges came from a police review of 14 video files stored on Frye’s cell phone, according to a criminal complaint.

Police said the files contain pornographic images that show Frye assaulting the victim.

Songer set Frye’s bond at $50,000, in addition to a bond for the same amount on the previous charges. He was returned to Mercer County Jail after the hearings.

In an interview with police, Frye said he had been in a relationship with the 14-year-old Hermitage girl, who died Oct. 26.

That morning, Sharon police responded to a call at 11:36 a.m. at Frye’s home on a report of a possible overdose of a 14-year-old girl. Mercer County Coroner John A. Libonati said Thursday that the victim’s cause and manner of death are undetermined, pending results of toxicology testing.

According to the affidavit of probable cause filed Nov. 7, officers found the victim in a second floor bedroom with illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia.

Frye told police that he was in love with the girl and was distraught that she was dead. Frye told police that he had been in a relationship with the girl for about three months.

In the same interview with police, Frye said he woke up at about 11:14 a.m. and was unsuccessful in trying to wake up the teenager.

Someone called Mercer County 911 while he tried to revive her, Frye told police.

A preliminary hearing on the latest set of charges is set for Nov. 19 in front of Songer.

React to this story:


Recommended for you