Timothy Edward Laver

Timothy Edward Laver

A Meadville man has been ordered held for trial for allegedly supplying drugs that caused a Centerville woman to fatally overdose at his home in August.

Timothy Edward Laver, 32, of 1175 S. Main St., was bound over to court following a preliminary hearing Thursday with Magisterial District Judge Samuel Pendolino on charges of drug delivery resulting in death and manufacture, delivery or possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture or deliver. A charge of possession of a controlled substance was withdrawn prior to the start of Thursday's hearing.

Meadville Police Department accuse Laver of supplying drugs that caused Jennifer Nagy, 23, of Centerville, to overdose and die during the early morning hours of Aug. 2 at Laver's home.

Nagy was found unconscious in an upstairs bedroom of the home by officers after Laver had summoned police, Det. Sgt. Neil Falco testified Thursday. Officers also found a used syringe and drug paraphernalia within the room, Falco said.

Falco testified attempts to revive Nagy by both police and emergency medical were unsuccessful, and Crawford County Coroner Scott Schell pronounced Nagy dead at the scene. A coroner's report from Aug. 10 listed Nagy's cause of death due to injection of fentanyl and methamphetamine, Falco testified.

A pathology report on Nagy's death by Dr. Eric Vey, a forensic pathologist, confirmed the cause of death as fentanyl, Falco testified. Vey's report said the amount of fentanyl in Nagy's body was three times the necessary dose to be lethal.

A download of Nagy's cellphone records found messages between Laver and Nagy about getting together to do heroin, Falco said. One of the messages Laver sent stated they "have to do a mountain of the drug because it was really weak," Falco testified.

Laver initially told police at the scene Nagy had her own drugs, Falco stated. In a subsequent police interview Laver stated he provided Nagy with what he believed to be heroin, Falco testified.

Asked about the discrepancy in his story, Laver stated he initially was afraid to tell authorities he had supplied the drug to Nagy, Falco testified. Laver admitted he and Nagy used the same amount, Falco testified.

Laver was returned to the county jail where he is being held in lieu of $250,000 bond. Laver is scheduled to go to trial in the county Court of Common Pleas during the January criminal trial term.

If convicted of the drug delivery resulting in death charge, Laver could receive up to 40 years in jail. The maximum sentence on the possession with intent to deliver charge is 15 years in jail. 

Keith Gushard can be reached at 724-6370 or by email at kgushard@meadvilletribune.com.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you