Two Maplewood Junior-Senior High students were transported to the Meadville Medical Center Tuesday morning after reportedly ingesting several pills.
The incident was reported initially as an overdose, according to Crawford County 911 dispatch. Reports from emergency personnel indicated the students each took 16 25-milligram amitriptyline pills, an antidepressant.
PENNCREST School District Superintendent Tim Glasspool characterized the incident differently. While Glasspool said there was suspicion two students had taken a quantity of medication, he said both students were coherent, awake and had normal vital signs when they were taken to the hospital and that no overdose had taken place.
"To say there was an overdose was gross misinformation," Glasspool said.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine defines an overdose as when someone takes more than the normal or recommended amount of a drug, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine. The library is maintained by the U.S. Department of Human Services' National Institutes of Health.
Amitriptyline is a federal Food and Drug Administration approved medication to treat depression in adults, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine's website.
Amitriptyline is not an FDA-approved for pediatric depression and is recommended doctors start with a lower dosage — of around 10 milligrams per day — in treating children with depression, according to the library's website.
The initial dose recommended for treating adult depression is 25 milligrams per day at bedtime, as it can be sedating, according to the library's website. For treating adults with chronic pain, the maximum recommended dosage is 150 to 300 milligrams per day.
Glasspool did not have details on the incident, including what kind of pills the students took, but said both are in a stable condition. He confirmed that both involved students were girls and said they were in the eighth grade.
The incident is under investigation by state police at Meadville.