CAMBRIDGE SPRINGS — One of the summer’s biggest events in northern Crawford County — the 58th annual Cambridge Springs Volunteer Fire Department Fireman’s Festival — is under way and runs through Sunday.
Here is some of what’s happening:
- Every day — bingo nightly, rides, games, food and live entertainment. Events are 6 to 11 p.m. today through Friday, and all day Saturday.
- Today — hot-air balloon launch at 6 p.m. with 13 balloons expected to participate, weather permitting; and entertainment by variety band Midnight Fire from 7 to 11.
- Saturday — hot-air balloon flyover at 7 a.m.; 5K run/walk at 9 (registration from 7 to 8:45 at carnival grounds); firemen’s water battles at 10; Junior Spa Spectacular at 11 ; ride-a-rama from noon to 4 p.m.; pie baking contest entries from noon to 2 p.m.; flower contest entries from noon to 2; grand parade at 5 from Main Street to carnival grounds; hot-air balloon flyover at 6; and entertainment by the King Pins rock band from 7 to 11.
- Sunday — Chicken barbecue dinner starting at 11 a.m. and costs $8.
The annual event is one of Cambridge Springs Volunteer Fire Department’s major fundraisers for the year.
See whats on tap for today and tomorrow
- Local News
New medical clearance requirements for drivers start next month
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s new medical clearance requirements for drivers go into effect next month and mean big changes for both commercial drivers and companies, according to the Crawford Area Transportation Authority.
- Rectenwald steps down as local United Way's chief professional officer
- Push on to create ‘trauma-informed community’
- Board overhaul proposal tabled by Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park
- Area dog killer may get five years
- New medical clearance requirements for drivers start next month
Pens squander 3-0 lead as Jackets even up series
Brandon Dubinsky scored with 22.5 seconds left in regulation to force overtime and Nick Foligno’s wrist shot just inside the blue line 2:49 into the extra session gave the Columbus Blue Jackets a 4-3 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday night.Continued ...
The Blue Jackets overcame a 3-0 deficit for their first home playoff victory in the franchise’s 13 seasons, sending the series back to Pittsburgh for Game 5 on Saturday night tied 2-2.
- Panthers rally to beat Huskies
- Greggs and Bison knock Bulldogs down to earth
- Devils sweep Tigers
- Cardinals overcome offensive woes to remain unbeaten
- Pens squander 3-0 lead as Jackets even up series
- Obituaries (Archives)
- Our Health
Prescription for Medical Nutrition Therapy
Nutrition is a vital part of being well, and an even more important part to getting well (or healing). It’s a critical part of prevention, yet if I surveyed physicians or lay people, and asked them “Does diet therapy work?” chances are at least 70 percent of them would say “No.”
- Is getting your daily ‘shot’ of caffeine OK?
- How virus sleuths and public health officials track the cause of a mysterious illness
- Enjoy the taste of eating right
- Holder: Heroin deaths an 'urgent and growing public health crisis'
- Prescription for Medical Nutrition Therapy
It’s hard to believe park will turn things around until secrecy ends
Even if a deal is struck to save Conneaut Lake Park from a pending sale to pay off back taxes, it appears unlikely that the park will succeed unless its new managers pledge themselves to transparency and public accountability.
- Public pensions for private lobbyists under fire
- Many veterans suffer PTSD, which needs to be dealt with
- Journalists in combat zones ‘write with light’ while risking their lives
- There’s no war on men and boys — it’s quite the opposite
- It’s hard to believe park will turn things around until secrecy ends