Theresa Davis had never been to a professional wrestling event before. But in Nov. of 2011, when the first Night of Superstars took place at Meadville Area Senior High School, Davis was in attendance. And, boy, was it an eye-opener.
“Oh my gosh, those wrestlers were so crazy,” said Davis. “They were unbelievable. They kept the crowd going the whole time. They were just so enthusiastic.
“And I tell you want, they were nicest people to work with, all of them.”
Davis went as a member of the Meadville Area Middle School Parents Action Committee, of which she is currently the vice president.
The Night of Superstars was an important event for the committee because the profits from the show went to Meadville Middle School.
Now Davis is looking forward to her second-ever wrestling event as the Night of Superstars 2 comes to Meadville High School’s House of Thrills on April 13.
“Oh absolutely,” she said. “My whole family will be attending.”
Meadville Middle School will again be the beneficiary of the event. In 2011, according to MAMS principal Scott Lynch, the Night of Superstars drew between 700 and 800 spectators and raised around $5,000 for the school.
“One of the big reasons we do this is for entertainment, for people who enjoy wrestling,” said Lynch. “But most important is that we are able to provide kids with better educational experiences — field trips, speakers, assemblies, things like that.”
Lynch is hoping for an even bigger turnout for Night of the Superstars 2. And to get it, he and the event’s promoter, the International Wrestling Cartel, hooked a mighty big fish.
“Rowdy” Roddy Piper is one of those personalities that transcended the world of wrestling. With his trademark kilt and bagpipe music, Piper became a true pop culture figure. Currently still with the WWE, Piper also has film and television actor, author and podcaster on his resume.
During the Night of Superstars 2, Piper will host his infamous wrestling chat show “Piper’s Pit,” with guests Colt Toombs, a mixed martial artist and Piper’s son, and another professional wrestling legend, Goldust.
“Roddy Piper does very few independent wrestling cards,” said International Wrestling Cartel owner and promoter Chuck Roberts. “But he was made aware of our promotion and our history and was willing to come on out.
“A guy like that does not appear very often at events like this, so that makes it that much more special. He will not be wrestling. He will be hosting ‘Piper’s Pit’. And to find out if he’ll have any more involvement in the show, you’ll have to watch the show.”
Also planned for the Night of Superstars 2:
- Along with his appearance on “Piper’s Pit”, Goldust will get in the ring to take on current IWC World Heavyweight Champion John McChesney, an Erie native, in a non-title match.
- International super-heavyweight legend Vader will also be wrestling, His opponent has yet to be announced, though. “We don’t know who (Vader’s opponent is) at this point,” said Roberts. “Not many people will very often volunteer to face a guy like Vader. We will find out the night of show who it will be.”
- Former WWE and TNA star Kid Kash will compete in a three-way match with IWC’s Super Indy Champion Anthony Nese and current Pro Wrestling Guerilla member Michael Elgin.
- Titusville’s own Luscious Rocky Reynolds will face off against IWC’s Zema Ion.
- The night will also feature a chaotic six-man tag team match. IWC Tag Team Champions Colin Delaney and Keith Haught will join forces with H.D. Cannon to take on IWC’s Founding Fathers crew — Dennis Gregory, Super Hentai and Jimmy Vega$.
- Corey Hollis and Kyle Matthews will square off in qualifying bout for the IWC’s big Super Indy XII wrestling championship in June.
- Midget wrestling is also on the schedule as Little Kato goes toe-to-toe with Bad Boy Brian.
- Night of Superstars 2 will also feature a tag team battle between W.A.R. (Aiden Veil and Jordan Lennox) versus The Gambino Bros., Marshall and Mickey.
More information about Night of Superstars 2 can be found at www.iwcwrestling.com. Tickets are available on the website or at Sheetz locations in Meadville, Franklin, Cranberry and Conneaut Lake.