GROVE CITY —
Sculley wins Class AA
Eight golfers from the Class AA tournament advanced, including event champion Sean Sculley of Mercyhurst Prep, who won a two-hole playoff against Lakers teammate Steve Kearns.
“I made a good chip for par (on No. 2), put it close, about a foot-and-a-half,” said Sculley. “The first hole, we both ended up in the same bunker, about five yards from each other. So, it was interesting.”
Both Sculley and Kearns finished with rounds of 81.
“Honestly, I thought I was going to finish in the middle,” said Sculley. “I thought there were some low numbers out there. But the course was hard. It was long and wet, wind in your face. I struggled all day until the last five holes. I was 2-under the last five holes.”
Also advancing in double-A is Titusville’s Matt McCord (82); Cambridge Springs’ Trevor Rodgers, Fort LeBoeuf’s Justin Latsko and North East’s Brian Ropecki (each with an 83), Harbor Creek’s Teven Vargo (84) and North East’s Alex Hunter (85).
Rodgers, a junior on the Blue Devils squad, said he’s happy to move on, but wasn’t jumping for joy over his score.
“Not good at all,” he said. “The conditions were kind of tough. The greens really rolled out more than I expected. And it was really windy.
“It feels good to make it. Still, an 83 is an 83.”
District 10 Individual Championships
At Grove City Country Club (Par 72)
Class AAA Leaderboard
1. Brett Rinker, Slippery Rock 74 RQ
2. John Fosco, Strong Vincent 77 RQ
3. Zack Ford, Meadville 78
4. Andrew Britton, Cathedral Prep 79
5. Chris Kupniewski, Strong Vincent 81
Ben Lucas, Grove City 81
Bob Paczkowski, Slippery Rock 81
8. Charlie Holt, Meadville 83
9. Ryan Podufal, Cathedral Prep 84
10. Nathan Sandberg, Warren 85
11. Teddy Russell, McDowell 87
12. Nick Hayes, Cathedral Prep 88
Dalton Zelasco, Meadville 88
14. David Rinderle, McDowell 90
15. Alex Shingledecker, McDowell 91
Class AA Leaderboard
1. Sean Sculley, Mercyhurst Prep 81 RQ
Steve Kearns, Mercyhurst Prep 81 RQ
3. Matt McCord, Titusville 82 RQ
4. Trevor Rodgers, Camb. Springs 83 RQ