Meadville Tribune

December 19, 2012

Donald Quinton Stallard


Meadville Tribune

CONNEAUT LAKE — Donald Quinton Stallard of Conneaut Lake died Monday, Dec. 17, 2012.

He was born on July 28, 1927 in Kerrtown, Vernon Township, Crawford County, a son of Wiley Harlan and Cal Dona Holbrook Stallard. He was married to Betty Jane Stilley at the United Methodist Church at Conneaut Lake on Aug. 29, 1948, by the Rev. Donald Modisher.

He is survived by his wife, Betty, of 64 years; a brother, James W. Stallard and his wife, Betsy, of Wilmington, N.C.; sister, Lois Danielson and her husband, Floyd, of Dayton, Ohio; sister, Geraine Watkins of Meadville; and four children, Linda Calvert and her husband, Robert, of Conneaut Lake, Jacqueline Sherry and her husband, William, of Conneaut Lake, son, William C. Stallard and his wife, Elaine, of Conneaut Lake, and son, Donald J. Stallard of Conneaut Lake. He is also survived by 12 grandchildren and 27 great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his parents; an infant brother in 1923; sister Frances Lively in 1994; and brothers, Hubert in 2000 and Earl in 2000.

He attended Vernon Township and Meadville schools. He had worked at the Keystone Ordnance Works in Greenwood Township before enlisting in the U.S. Navy in February 1945. He trained at Great Lakes and then transferred to Davisville, R.I., for combat training followed by deployment to Puerto Princesa, Palawan, in the Philippines until June 1946. He was then transferred to the USS Chourre ARV-1 at Mare Island in California for a short time, then to Bainbridge, Md., for discharge on Aug. 3, 1946, and stayed in the Reserves until Aug. 3, 1954.

He worked in the area as an electrician, also for Jackson Electric in Linesville, Penelec in Meadville, worked as an electrical inspector for the Middle Department Association of Fire Underwriters, then went to work in 1957 for Chrysler Corp. at Twinsburg, Ohio, as a skilled trades supervisor until he retired on Dec. 31, 1987.

He was a member of The Trinity United Methodist Church at Conneaut Lake for more than 60 years, serving as lay leader, trustee, chairman of committee on missions, as a member of the Pastor Parish Committee and singing in the choir and in the Living Christmas Tree.

A member and past grand of Conneaut Lake Odd Fellows Lodge for more than 50 years, he served in several offices and as secretary. A member and past master of Masonic Lodge No. 408 in Meadville for more than 50 years, he also served as secretary. He was presiding officer in the three York Rite bodies — Solomon Royal Arch Chapter No. 191, Timothy Alden Council No. 60 and Northwestern Commandery No. 25 — and was the recipient of The Knight York Cross of Honor and the Order of The Silver Trowel. He served as worthy patron of Golden Crown Chapter order of the Eastern Star for more than 15 years.

He was also a member of Zem-Zem Shrine in Erie, Crawford County Shrine Club, the West County Shrine Club, Edinboro, and rode a go-cart in the Shrines parades for several years.

He was on the advisory board of Northwestern Chapter of DeMolay, and was a life member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 8432 at Linesville. He was a life member of Conneaut Lake Park Volunteer Fire Department and a member of Station 3 at Conneaut Lake. He was a former member of Moose Lodge No. 1354 at Kent, Ohio, and a former member and president of the French Creek Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution at Meadville. He was also a 38-year member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks Lodge No. 219 in Meadville.

He spent countless hours researching his family ancestry and descendants and those families connected to his. He provided the information on his family in this and other areas that was to be published in 1976 in the book, “The Stallard Connection,” that was published on the Stallards who came to Virginia from England in 1640; and those who migrated in 1779 from Culpepper County, Va., to Russell, Scott and Wise counties in southwest Virginia. He also collected information of the early settlers of the Conneaut Lake area for the Conneaut Lake Area Historical Society.

Friends may call on Thursday from 3 to 7 p.m. at Dickson Funeral Home on North Second Street, Conneaut Lake. A Masonic funeral service will be performed by Lodge No. 408 at the funeral home at 6:45 p.m., followed by an Eastern Star service.

On Friday at 11 a.m., a funeral service will be held at Trinity United Methodist Church at 240 N. Third St., Conneaut Lake, with the Rev. Jay Sterling and Pastor Dave Brumagin presiding. Military honors will follow at the church, with interment to follow at Roselawn Memorial Gardens, Meadville.

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to Shriners Children’s Hospital of Erie, 1645 W. Eighth St., Erie, Pa. 16505; or the building fund at Trinity United Methodist Church, 240 N. Third St. Conneaut Lake, Pa. 16316.

Arrangements are under the care of Dickson Funeral Home and Crematory, Rocco R. Tedesco III, supervisor. Please sign the guestbook at hatheway-tedesco.com.


Discussion