You can go
The seventh annual RoboBOTS competition, sponsored by the northwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the National Tooling and Machining Association, is scheduled Saturday at Meadville Area Senior High School. Admission is free. Doors open at 8 a.m. with competition beginning at 9.
From National Association of Manufacturers’ “A Growth Agenda”:
- Manufacturing supports about 17.2 million jobs in the U.S. — about one in six private sector jobs.
- In 2011, the average manufacturing worker in the U.S. earned $77,060 annually including pay and benefits. The average worker in all industries earned $60,168.
- Manufacturing in the U.S. produces $1.8 trillion of value each year or 12.2 percent of U.S. gross domestic product.
- Manufacturing has the highest multiplier effect of any economic sector — for every $1 spent in manufacturing, another $1.48 is added to the economy.
- Taken alone, manufacturing in the U.S. would be the 10th largest economy in the world.
The NWPA NTMA Education Foundation chapter currently offers five scholarships for training in the tooling and machining field.
The scholarships are:
- Kenneth and Margaret Deane Scholarship for $500
- J.O. Starn Scholarship for $1,000
- Starlite Group Inc. Scholarship for $1,000
- Byham’s Insurance Services Scholarship for $750
- Hagan Business Machines of Meadville Inc. for $1,000.
All scholarship applications are accepted until April 27.
At that time, the applications and all applicant criteria are reviewed and the committee makes a decision as to who will receive the scholarship(s) based on the guidelines set up by the organization, individual or business that has established the scholarship.
Checks for the scholarships are made out in the educational institution’s name that the applicant will be/or is attending. The Committee holds scholarship presentations at a coordinating northwest Pennsylvania chapter of the National Tooling and Machining Association event during the summer and the scholarship winners, families and the scholarship donors have all participated.
- More information on individual requirements: Visit nwpa-ntma.com and click on the NWPA NTMA Education Foundation link.