SLIDESHOW: Irene batters Northeast with winds, flooding
Tropical Storm Irene battered New England over the weekend with high winds and torrential rains, knocking down trees and power lines and causing flooding of homes and businesses. Here is a collection of photos from upstate New York and Massachusetts.
- CNHI News Service Originals
Do cars have too many distracting gadgets?
New cars are a gadget freak's dream; sophisticated navigation systems, Internet connectivity for mobile devices, systems to monitor your driving habits and a system that automatically summons help.
Five myths about choosing a vice president
Every presidential election cycle, once a party's nominee becomes clear, we focus on the veepstakes. Who will Mitt Romney choose? Will he play it safe with a traditional pick, such as Walter Mondale in 1976 or Jack Kemp in 1996? Or take a chance, as John McCain did with Sarah Palin in 2008? Either way, there is no evidence that a vice presidential nominee plays a great part in voters' decisions. But that doesn't stop us from overhyping the selection process.
Gift card givers, beware: 6 tips to protect your purchase
Many shoppers looking for a simple, easy present for friends and family this holiday season will turn to gift cards, letting the recipient do the shopping at their favorite store or restaurant. But the Better Business Bureau says consumer complaints about gift cards are on the rise, and buyers need to beware of potential pitfalls.
- Stay scared: 10 most haunted hotels in America An overnight stay at a haunted hotel is a nightmare come true for many thrill-seeking tourists, and travel website TripAdvisor has named the top 10 places where you can scare up a good vacation.
E-commerce raises question of sales tax fairness
A growing chorus of bricks-and-mortar small businesses are protesting what they see as tax law inequities driving them to the brink by requiring they collect and remit sales taxes while their electronic counterparts prosper through tax-free goods and services.
Conflicted politics deter sales tax reform
Lawmakers face political challenges in closing a legal loophole that allows online retailers to avoid paying sales taxes, as they weigh an issue of fairness against aversion to raising taxes.
Eight must-see films to close out 2011
It's that time of the year, when all the films that are either designed to draw in big holiday bucks or win big 2012 awards get released. And those in love with cinema have dozens of options at the theater.
- SLIDESHOW: Fall colors on display across the U.S. The change in seasons brings a vivid display of fall foliage. Check out this gallery of photos of autumn colors from across the United States.
Organic: Is it worth it?
“Organic” has long been one of those buzzwords floating around health- and food-conscious communities. The fact is, though, not a lot of studies actually confirm that people who eat organic food are more healthy than those who don’t.
SLIDESHOW: The 'dirty dozen' of fruits and veggies
- Who will win Emmys? See most-nominated TV shows Some epic HBO dramas along with a few popular comedy staples lead the way in nominations for the 63rd annual Prime time Emmy Awards, which air Sunday night.
- More CNHI News Service Originals Headlines
- Do cars have too many distracting gadgets?